How can you tell if someone is demon possessed?
The best descriptions of someone possessed by a demon are found in the gospels. Let us look at some of them.
* Mark 5:2-5 “When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an evil spirit came from the tombs to meet him. This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him any more, not even with a chain. For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.” NIV
First of all, demon possessed people seem to prefer to live by themselves, away from other people.
They tend to be impossible to control, even when chained. They have a supernatural power through which they are able to break free.
Often they hurt themselves and love to cry out.
* Mark 5:15 “When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid.” NIV
When someone is demon possessed, he/she is never in his/her right mind.
* Mark 9:17-18 “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. NIV
* Mark 9:20-22 “So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.
Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?”
“From childhood,” he answered. “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him” NIV
Some demon possessed people cannot utter a single word! However they are violent as well and can roll around the ground uncontrollably, foaming from the mouth. They often try to harm themselves and even kill themselves!
The good news is:
* Mark 9:23 “Everything is possible for him who believes.” NIV
Deliverance is available to anyone who is demon possessed! Just like Jesus healed every one he met who was demon possessed, Jesus still heals today!
* Mark 9:25-27 “He rebuked the evil spirit. “You deaf and mute spirit,” he said, “I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”
The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, “He’s dead.” But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.” NIV
Here is what I was able to experience when I met someone who had that terrible dilemna:
“Last Friday I went as an usher to one of Benny Hinn’s crusades in Toronto. Some believe he is from the devil. Others that he is a fake. All I can say to you is what I experienced: the gospel message was preached: salvation by faith in Jesus Christ. Around 1000 people gave their heart to Jesus that night. God was glorified through worship and praise songs. Never was once glory given to man nor to Benny Hinn. Around 2000 people were healed. The lame walked, the deaf started hearing, the blind got their vision, cancer was healed… God was glorified throughout it all.
During my shift of being an usher, I had a wonderful experience with God as well. Around 9:30 p.m. another usher from another section came running up to me and said “I need your help. Someone is convulsing in my section. I think she may be epileptic. I do not know what to do.” My first inclination was to tell her: “Call the doctor. I can’t help you!” But God told me with His peaceful voice ” I am in charge. Follow this lady”. So I followed her to her section. I asked her where that convulsing person was and she pointed out somewhere up the aisle. She seemed to be terrified to get closer to the incident. Not knowing where to go, I started to climb the stairs, trying to pinpoint who was in trouble. As I reached a certain row, all of a sudden people got up and made way for me to get through. I followed their lead and was brought to a bleak looking lady who was convulsing badly.
She was surrounded by 4 ladies who were praying for her, one of them turned around and told me that she was a nurse and that she never had seen anything like this. She told me this was not a seizure and that this poor lady was battling a spiritual battle. In other words, demons were possessing her!
I stretched my hand towards her and started to pray. The convulsing stopped. The ladies around her tried to encourage her to go down (we were on the third floor) to share her testimony with Benny Hinn. She was terrified and said the demons would punish her if she did. Finally she decided to go, terrified. I was wondering what to do, but the Lord told me clearly to go and lead the way.
As we started to go down the first few steps, she started to convulse worse that ever. She would not listen to anyone. Her attention seemed to be unfocused. The Lord impressed me to talk boldly to her and although words were coming out of my mouth, they were not my words. God was speaking to her using my voice box. I was led to say (shorter version here): “You will be healed my friend. Jesus loves you and he has paid for your healing 2000 years ago. By His stripes you are healed! Do you believe this?” All during this speech, she had riveted her attention on me and was paying 100% attention to every word that was uttered. She very weakly answered: “Yes”.
We started to pray for her and cast the demons out of her life, inviting God’s Holy Spirit to come and take His dwelling in her and as we were concluding our prayers, all convulsing stopped and she was looked so peaceful. She had been freed from those demons. Praise the Lord! All of us, including herself were praising the Lord!
During this whole event God was in charge! I did not cast those demons out. God did! I never had any experiences like that before. But throughout this experience God was gently telling me what to do. He was my mentor and His power is incredible. Praise be to God for loving each one of us so much!
She could not be healed until she proclaimed she believed. Once she did that, God freed her! God can do the same for you my friend. If you are facing some incredible situations, cry out to Him and believe He will answer your plea. He always does! He is so awesome!”
Deliverance is available! It does not matter that you are demon possessed, or that you are an alcoholic or even a sex addict, Jesus can and will heal you, if you come and ask for His help. Mark 9:23 “Everything is possible for him who believes.” NIV Why don’t you invite Jesus into your life right now by answering the Saviour’s Call. Then develop His friendship that He is offering to you and let Him free you! You will be delivered!
Matthew 8:28 says two demon possessed men coming from the tombs met Jesus. They were so violent that no one could pass that way. I would have to say that according to this that someone who is demon possessed is uncontrollably violent. Consumed with evil, ready at all costs to bad mouth our Father in heaven and hate and fear the cross. Anything of good, they would hate. One who cannot control his hatred for others. One who revels and takes pleasure in evil. MAY ALL BE BLESSED!!!
Usually the Spirit of Fear that persists over time in one’s house and in one’s mind is a sure sign of a demonic attack.
My spirit will sense that they are from Satan and the way there eyes look something about knowing that Satan has possesses them.
If you don’t have the gift of discernment already, check out their fruit. By their fruit shall you know them.
Those that were possessed by demons or evil spirits are listed in many places throughout the Bible…here are a few:
Mat. 9:32….dumbness Mat. 12:22…blindness Mk. 9:17-22…seizures Luke 4:31-37…uncontrollable anger
* We can tell if a person is possessed by a demon or evil spirit by paying close attention to the things he/she does/says; while comparing them with what the Bible says in reference to it.
LUKE 4:31…Then Jesus went to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and taught there in the synagogue every Sabbath day.
– 32…There too, the people were amazed at the things he said, because he spoke with authority.
– 33…Once when He was in the synagogue, a man possed with a demon began to shout at Jesus,
– 34.-“Go away! Why are you bothering us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are- the Holy One sent from God”.
* Scripture tells us this man was “shouting” negative remarks at Jesus- who was only there teaching the people about God.
* But since there can be no fellowship between Christ & the devil (2 Cor. 6:14) the demonic spirit within this man caused him to speak this way against Jesus. So-
– 35. Jesus cut him short.- “Be silent.” he told the demon. “Come out of the man!” The demon threw the man to the floor as the crowd watched; then it left him without hurting him further.
– 36. Amazed, the people exclaimed, “What authority and power this man’s words possess! Even evil spirits obey him and flee at his command!”
– 37. The story of what he had done spread like wildfire throughout the region.
GALATIANS 5:22-23….But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruits in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodnes, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. Here there is no conflict with the law.
* This is an example of that power the Lord has shared with us-his children who obeys him!